History

The London Missionary Society began its work in today’s Papua New Guinea in 1871.  Several groups of Christians from the Pacific islands came to work with the mission, which expanded through the Papuan mainland.

The Australian Methodist Church, now the Uniting Church in Australia, responded to the request to join the pioneering work.  The Methodist mission covered three independent areas, called districts.  These joined together in 1950 in mission work in the southern highlands.

In 1962 the London Missionary Society, together with the mission of the Presbyterian Church in New Zealand and another mission body, formed the Papua Ekalesia, at the time the largest single church in Papua.

A further union took place on 19 January 1968 when the Papua Ekalesia, the Methodists and the Union Church of Port Moresby together established the United Church in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.

In 1996 the general assembly of the United Church in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands resolved that the existence of one united church covering two independent countries should no longer be maintained.  Thus the United Church in Papua New Guinea came into being as an autonomous church on its own.